Monday, May 21, 2007

Day 1 : Part 2

Alright already…time to see these delegates in action. Really though, I can’t complain. After posting the last blog entry I walked around the hotel here and it is beautiful! Wide rounded staircases lead to curved grassy areas with tables scattered around patios and hammocks in the shade and sun. Of course I had to have a slight emergency - as I was walking down one of those staircases, I missed a step and spilled coffee on the sleeve of my pinstriped blazer. I should mention, though, how fortunate I am not to have spilled it on my white pants. J

Anyway, we finally caucused and I listened to discussion about the candidates for the Board of Directors. It was a little difficult to get exact ideas of what people were saying as I hadn’t seen the interviews. On the other hand, I was very interested to hear how the delegates were going about pinpointing what type of candidate they were looking for, what each should have focused on, and how their performance in the interviews related to what they knew of the candidate in “real life.” Then, they would roll all that together and see if it fit where they saw the profession going. If I do get slated to run for student assembly, this will be very useful as I pick out my strengths and weaknesses and order them to best enable me to work the student agenda into the progression of the entire profession of physical therapy.

Other news that I picked up in shreds was that MA is removing RC 17. In short, the motion was to get at the evolving idea that PT is a brand. It laid out groundwork to unify those within the profession in what initials they put after their names. I think one of the main points was that putting all the certification initials after PT can cheapen that brand. It can appear, for example, that PTs are not qualified to prescribe an exercise program to a person without CSCS after their name along with the PT. Apparently discussion surrounding it became more about who could put what initials after their names, while the main idea of the motion was lost in the kafuffle. At this point, it is a matter of why waste the House’s time in discussion when that discussion will not be productive toward an end beyond a recipe for alphabet soup.

And again, I may now head out for some internet access so I can post this. Hope all is going well for you all…especially my classmates who are starting classes today. Sorry I can’t be with you, well, um, sorta. J

No comments: