Thursday, May 31, 2007

Day 3 : Part 1

Sorry for taking a break from this and leaving you all waiting for the conclusion to the House. School has actually been busy. I am right back in the swing of things, but remembering the schedule of classes and trying to schedule interviews for internship along with each facility's informational session...whew. At least I got my wallet back, in all of its many pieces!

The House started bright and early Wednesday morning...8ish? I apologize for a lack of details as I am in Sterling tonight and do not have my notes with me. They went right into RC 37, a MA motion to look into producing a series of white papers showing the benefits and cost effectiveness of physical therapy in comparison to other options for treatment. A few amendments were brought up to take out "cost-effectiveness" as many believe that is a trap in health care and we as PTs should not stoop down to play that game. But the point was made that cost is an unfortunate reality and it needs to be addressed. Others were concerned that data gathered would show PT as ineffective. This surprised me...I thought PTs would be certain it was most effective. But this was the minority and the motion was passed. Now comes the easy part - RCs 38-40 were all withdrawn, 39 with more "ceremony" with regards to recognition of those who achieve a tDPT - but I forget what the big deal was all about.

And that was it! They finished up with a celebration of the newly elected officials and recognition of Frank Mallon - the outgoing CEO of the APTA. I was pretty sad when it was over...almost like when all the presents are unwrapped at Christmas. Fortunately for me, the Advocacy Academy continued at the conclusion of the HoD. More on that later...probably in Day 3 : Part 2.

Good luck on all your interviews to those in my class!

No comments: