Sunday, April 29, 2007

Been a while...

Wow, I have really been slacking on the posting. I guess the weather got nice and I took advantage. Sitting inside facing a computer screen takes the back burner to mini golf, wiffleball, baseball, softball, tennis, etc, etc. What's been going on?

Clinic - very good, but almost done. 2 weeks left with an inservice this Tuesday. It is a case study on a patient with cauda equina syndrome. You know, there is VERY little literature on the best techniques for Tx, or prognosis, or progression, or presentation of traumatic CES. As far as treatment, I'd say you treat the impairments to maximize the function - basically PT bread and butter. BUT, you then have to start the whole discussion of whether improvement is from neurological return or therapy induced. Hard to say...and it depends on each case. So, that is this week, with just 9 total days left of this second clinical.

School - Not much on this front...but we've sent in our top choices for the year long internship. We have to send resumes and cover letters, then wait to see if we're offered interviews. After the interviews, the students rank the places they looked at, the places rank the students they saw, and the clinical coordinators make a match. I am mostly looking at splits (half IP, half OP) and my top choices are MGH and Brigham and Women's I think. I also am going to apply for the one with Harvard University's sports med clinic because that is what I want to do in real life so even if I have to do an IP rotation, at least I can get the experience interviewing there. Classes start up the week of May 21. I'll be in DC that week at the APTA House of Delegates and Advocacy Academy. (See next bullet)

APTA stuff - Yes! This gets its own bullet! :) I have been going to the MA delegation meetings and am fascinated by the discussion, strategy, and good humor at each meeting. I cannot wait for the state assembly meeting this coming week.

Family - The fam is doing well also. Ben is choosing between law schools, finishing up college and graduating the 12th of May I think. Jon is finishing up prep school and graduating the 18th of May I think. Lydia, Kitty and CJ are all not quite as close to being done for the summer...sometime in June. Mom and Dad are getting ready for a bike tour in NY next weekend.

Sports - Softball started again and my shoulder didn't even pop out yet! My neck was very sore the next day though and I had a headache. I am much to young to be this old. It is sad actually. Tennis is a new favorite too. I didn't get to play this weekend, but it is becoming something a few of us do together...getting ready for the next ACE (armatures competing and exercising) tennis tourney that we set up to do at lunch when classes are back in session. Some people are trying to get a whole system going with kickball and wiffleball too. It should be a good summer.

Ok, now I am tired of this. Good update though.

Hope all is well! Good luck to those finishing up clinic, classes, etc!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"I am much TO young to be this old." 28-13? and im not sure what armatures are... http://www.answers.com/topic/armature

Good update though, keep up the good work :-D

laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laura said...

i just deleted the comment that said it was all fixed...because editing the post did not end up fixing those errors. i appreciate your edits and apologize for not recognizing them. :)